HKExpats.com - the site FOR Hong Kong expats BY Hong Kong expats  

The Globe

Go Back   HKExpats.com - the site FOR Hong Kong expats BY Hong Kong expats > asking > General
Notices
General Have a question about living in Hong Kong and you can't find the answer anywhere else in hkexpats.com? - then post it here and wait for it to be answered. The chances are it's a very sensible question that would help others as well as yourself.

new basic salary for foreign domestic helper
Old
  (#1)
pinklet

Default new basic salary for foreign domestic helper - 18th June 2008

my helper is telling me that the new basic salary is hkd 3800 and we have to do not have to pay the levy of amt hkd 400 to the government anymore........is it true or just a rumour.....

Old
  (#2)
puyi

Default 18th June 2008

pay her the extra 400...................

Old
  (#3)
2hot2handle

Default 18th June 2008

think its just a rumour

Old
  (#4)
Load Toad
ACE

Default 18th June 2008

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/ID(E)989.htm

Old
  (#5)
Load Toad
ACE

Default 18th June 2008

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/emplo...stichelper.htm

Old
  (#6)
Nasdaq_Index

Default 18th June 2008

whats the big deal paying and extra 400 bucks?? if someone thinks that $400 increase on the basic salary for a "helper" who clean your s**t and in some cases your whole family and extended family s**t (during visit or...) then you shouldn't have a helper. Hong Kong is one of the unique places in the world where an average (IMOP) citizen can afford to hire someone to do all the s**t work for them. I'm all for the increase.... I fully support it. my 2 cents.

Old
  (#7)
shazza

Default 18th June 2008

Quote:
quote:There is no minimum wage for local domestic helpers under the laws of Hong Kong.

As for foreign domestic helpers, you should pay them no less than the prevailing Minimum Allowable Wage at the time of signing the contract and factor in the living costs of your foreign domestic helper. The Minimum Allowable Wage has been adjusted to HK$3,480 per month with effect from 6 June 2007.
Again, as usual, I found it ridiculous that there's no minimum wages for local but foreign domestic helpers. The difference is a local DH gets as low as $40/hr, a say Filipina gets $60/hr if they do part time. Local DH have to pay for their own acommodation and food whilst foreign helpers get provided all these things by the employers.

Old
  (#8)
smog

Default 18th June 2008

It is certainly strongly rumoured (the local Filipino press was reporting such this week) but as far as I know it's still just a rumour. Expect it to happen though.

Old
  (#9)
puyi

Default 19th June 2008

yes it must be very hard for those local people who work as dh and have no language problems and are surrounded by their own culture and have family support at hand etc etc etc and cant be fired for trivial reasons or subjected to degrading antics by the employer or forced to share the sidewalks on sundays with all the other dh's ................hmmmm times are tough

Old
  (#10)
Load Toad
ACE

Default 19th June 2008

Yup, it's far to difficult for LEGCO to put in place minimum wage legislation that covers everybody - god forbid that it might actually have a detrimental effect on their big business cronies.